While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."TCP Capital Dividend Yield: 9.00% TCP Capital (NASDAQ: TCPC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 9.00%. TCP Capital Corp. is a business development company specializing in direct equity and debt investments in middle-market, senior secured loans, junior loans, originated loans, mezzanine, senior debt instruments, bonds, and secondary-market investments. It seeks to invest in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.32. The average volume for TCP Capital has been 237,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. TCP Capital has a market cap of $779.4 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 4.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates TCP Capital as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- TCPC's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 57.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for TCP CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 81.95%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 43.50% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- TCP CAPITAL CORP's earnings per share declined by 39.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TCP CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.94 versus $1.20 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 18.0% in earnings ($1.59 versus $1.94).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$161.37 million or 21.98% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 21.98%, TCP CAPITAL CORP is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -31.75%.
- In its most recent trading session, TCPC has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full TCP Capital Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 30.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 60.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 109.89% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, LOAN should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- MANHATTAN BRIDGE CAPITAL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, MANHATTAN BRIDGE CAPITAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.15 versus $0.10 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Financial Services industry. The net income increased by 121.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.19 million to $0.43 million.
- You can view the full Manhattan Bridge Capital Ratings Report.
- HIHO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- HIHO has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.05, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- HIGHWAY HOLDINGS LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, HIGHWAY HOLDINGS LTD increased its bottom line by earning $0.16 versus $0.12 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Machinery industry. The net income increased by 143.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.15 million to $0.36 million.
- You can view the full Highway Holdings Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.