While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Manhattan Bridge Capital Dividend Yield: 7.50% Manhattan Bridge Capital (NASDAQ: LOAN) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.50%. Manhattan Bridge Capital, Inc. provides short-term, secured, and non banking loans to real estate investors to fund their acquisition and construction of properties in the New York Metropolitan area. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.93. The average volume for Manhattan Bridge Capital has been 48,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Manhattan Bridge Capital has a market cap of $22.8 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 7.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates Manhattan Bridge Capital as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and attractive valuation levels. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 30.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 60.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 113.11% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, LOAN should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- MANHATTAN BRIDGE CAPITAL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, MANHATTAN BRIDGE CAPITAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.15 versus $0.10 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Financial Services industry. The net income increased by 121.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.19 million to $0.43 million.
- You can view the full Manhattan Bridge Capital Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 20.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $10.57 million to $12.77 million.
- The gross profit margin for SOLAR CAPITAL LTD is currently very high, coming in at 70.49%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 45.02% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- SLRC, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 13.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 34.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- SOLAR CAPITAL LTD has improved earnings per share by 25.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD reported lower earnings of $1.70 versus $3.12 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 5.6% in earnings ($1.61 versus $1.70).
- You can view the full Solar Capital Ratings Report.
- HIHO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- HIHO has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.05, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- HIGHWAY HOLDINGS LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, HIGHWAY HOLDINGS LTD increased its bottom line by earning $0.16 versus $0.12 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Machinery industry. The net income increased by 143.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.15 million to $0.36 million.
- You can view the full Highway Holdings Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.