Shareholders of Buckle, Inc. (BKE - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $50 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.45 bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BKE shares would have to climb 3.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Buckle, Inc. , looking at the dividend history chart for BKE below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.9% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing BKE's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Buckle, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $48.04) to be 26%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BKE Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Bayer Surges After Elliott Reveals $1.1 Billion Stake, Boosts Roundup Legal Team
Bayer shares traded near the top of the European market Thursday after activist investor Elliot Advisors revealed a $1.1 billion stake in the chemicals group and supported plans to boost its legal team in the face of thousands of Roundup weedkiller lawsuits.
Dow Futures Gain, Global Stocks Climb, As US-China 'Truce' Report Sparks Bulls
Wall Street futures extended gains Thursday, following on from a solid overnight session in Asia, amid reports of a potential truce in U.S.-China talks that could lead to the avoidance of new tariffs and a commitment to further, more detail discussions following this weekend's G20 Summit in Japan.
Economy, Immigration Headline First Democratic Presidential Nominee Debate
First Democratic debate 2019: Night One covers the economy, immigration healthcare and more.
What Stocks and Sectors Investors Should Watch During the Second Half of 2019
Curious about stocks or sectors that investors should watch now that we're transitioning into the second half of 2019? Here's what Real Money contributor Stephen Guilfoyle thinks.