While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."SunCoke Energy Partners Dividend Yield: 9.20% SunCoke Energy Partners (NYSE: SXCP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 9.20%. SunCoke Energy Partners, L.P., a master limited partnership, manufactures and sells coke used in the blast furnace production of steel in the United States. The company operates through Domestic Coke and Coke Logistics segments. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.89. The average volume for SunCoke Energy Partners has been 62,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. SunCoke Energy Partners has a market cap of $554.4 million and is part of the metals & mining industry. Shares are down 14.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE. TheStreet Ratings rates SunCoke Energy Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, growth in earnings per share and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average. The net income increased by 23.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $17.30 million to $21.40 million.
- Despite the weak revenue results, SXCP has outperformed against the industry average of 18.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- SUNCOKE ENERGY PARTNERS LP's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SUNCOKE ENERGY PARTNERS LP reported lower earnings of $1.51 versus $1.82 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.71 versus $1.51).
- SXCP has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 21.08% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, SUNCOKE ENERGY PARTNERS LP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full SunCoke Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 13.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 21.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 52.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7.76 million to $11.81 million.
- The gross profit margin for THL CREDIT INC is rather high; currently it is at 65.14%. Regardless of TCRD's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TCRD's net profit margin of 51.02% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, THL CREDIT INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- TCRD has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 13.34% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- You can view the full THL Credit Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 13.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GLADSTONE CAPITAL CORP is rather high; currently it is at 65.32%. Regardless of GLAD's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GLAD's net profit margin of 3.79% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- GLADSTONE CAPITAL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLADSTONE CAPITAL CORP reported lower earnings of $0.53 versus $1.53 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.84 versus $0.53).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$42.32 million or 3426.91% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The share price of GLADSTONE CAPITAL CORP has not done very well: it is down 11.17% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Gladstone Capital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.