NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of Chico's FAS Inc. (CHS - Get Report) are down by 4.53% to $17.29 in late morning trading on Wednesday, as the Wall Street Journal reports that Sycamore Partners is no longer pursuing a buyout of the women's fashion retailer.
Two weeks ago the Journal reported that Sycamore was in negotiations with Chico's and looking to take the company private in a deal with the potential to value the company at $3 billion.
Talks regarding the takeover have ceased as Sycamore couldn't find financing for the deal.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
It has become more difficult for buyout firms to acquire the financing needed for deals regarding mall based retailers as the stores are dealing with a decline in traffic, poor sales, and a rise in online competition, the Journal added.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CHICOS FAS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CHICOS FAS INC (CHS) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income increased by 192.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$28.48 million to $26.46 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CHS has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign.
- CHICOS FAS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CHICOS FAS INC reported lower earnings of $0.40 versus $1.08 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.66 versus $0.40).
- The gross profit margin for CHICOS FAS INC is rather high; currently it is at 59.19%. Regardless of CHS's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.97% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CHS Ratings Report