Shareholders of Inter Parfums, Inc. (IPAR - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $30 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.15 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $30 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IPAR shares would have to advance 11.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 15.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Inter Parfums, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for IPAR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing IPAR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $30 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $30 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $30. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Inter Parfums, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $26.99) to be 31%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IPAR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 724,621 contracts, with call volume at 1.21M, for a put:call ratio of 0.60 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Beyond Pricey? Our Reporters Try the Beyond Meat Burger, Talk Business Model
Is Beyond Meat's burger enough to convince investors to invest in the company? TheStreet conducted a taste test to see what the hype is about.
Kass: 3 Spots of Vulnerability I Would Avoid in This Market
I suggest avoiding all three over the next few months and over the remainder of the year.
Legg Mason to Cut 120 Jobs as Reality Bites With Activist Peltz on Board
An announcement on job cuts comes just days after legendary corporate raider Nelson Peltz and his investment firm, Trian Fund Management, won two seats on Legg Mason's board of directors.
Amazon Is Headed to $3,000 a Share, Says Bullish Piper Jaffray Note
The firm estimates Amazon will cross $3,000 a share sometime between mid-2021 and mid-2022.
HPE's CFO Discusses Impact of Cloud Trends and Lower Memory Prices
During a talk with TheStreet right after its earnings report, CFO Tarek Robbiati talks about how HPE is trying to position itself as cloud infrastructure adoption continues, and what kind of boost it's getting from lower memory prices.