- PWE has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $18.5 million.
- PWE has traded 226,187 shares today.
- PWE is down 5.2% today.
- PWE was up 11.7% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PWE with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PWE NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PWE: Penn West Petroleum Ltd., an exploration and production company, acquires, explores, develops, exploits, and holds interests in petroleum and natural gas properties and related assets in western Canada. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 21.1%. Currently there are no analysts that rate Penn West Petroleum a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Penn West Petroleum has been 5.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Penn West has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are up 14.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Penn West Petroleum as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD swung to a loss, reporting -$1.77 versus $0.37 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 144.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $34.00 million to -$15.00 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PENN WEST PETROLEUM LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 71.06%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 142.85% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 21.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 14.6%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Penn West Petroleum Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.