While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Dupont Fabros Technology Dividend Yield: 4.40% Dupont Fabros Technology (NYSE: DFT) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.40%. DuPont Fabros Technology, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the ownership, acquisition, development, operation, management, and lease of large-scale data center facilities in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 35.44. The average volume for Dupont Fabros Technology has been 703,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Dupont Fabros Technology has a market cap of $2.5 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 12.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Dupont Fabros Technology as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, reasonable valuation levels, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- DFT's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 281.25% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 54.29% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 854.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$3.42 million to $25.77 million.
- 39.28% is the gross profit margin for DUPONT FABROS TECHNOLOGY INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 24.40% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Dupont Fabros Technology Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SIX FLAGS ENTERTAINMENT CORP is rather high; currently it is at 66.11%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 19.38% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $211.94 million or 25.34% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SIX FLAGS ENTERTAINMENT CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -31.28%.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Although SIX's debt-to-equity ratio of 4.01 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SIX's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.09, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Six Flags Entertainment Ratings Report.
- APU's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 5.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP has improved earnings per share by 7.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.80 versus $1.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.04 versus $1.80).
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Gas Utilities industry and the overall market, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $116.88 million or 40.43% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -49.03%.
- 45.39% is the gross profit margin for AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -8.45% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full AmeriGas Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.