NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of IAMGOLD (IAG - Get Report) are plummeting, down 7.09% to $2.62 in afternoon trading Wednesday, on declining gold prices after the Federal Reserve said that it would remain patient when it comes to raising interest rates, Reuters reports.
Following its latest policy meeting the Fed made it clear in a statement today that no rate increase is imminent, Reuters added.
The Federal Open Market Committee is scheduled to release a statement at the end of today following its two-day policy meeting.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Spot gold is down 0.56% to $1,284.80 an ounce as of 2:55 p.m. ET today, after hitting a five-month high of $1,306.20 an ounce last week.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates IAMGOLD CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate IAMGOLD CORP (IAG) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- IAMGOLD CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, IAMGOLD CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$2.21 versus $0.89 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 386.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $25.30 million to -$72.50 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, IAMGOLD CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for IAMGOLD CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.55%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -21.22% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The share price of IAMGOLD CORP has not done very well: it is down 24.33% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: IAG Ratings Report