"Positive PC and server trends suggest 4Q14 and 1Q15 consensus estimates are too low," Jefferies said.
Media reports of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM) share loss to Samsung (SSNLF) are consistent with Jefferies' Moore Stress thesis that Intel and Samsung remain "the last two leading edge semi manufacturers standing," which "opens the door" for Intel to take share in mobile processors as a foundry supplier to TSM's customers or a direct supplier to original equipment manufacturers.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Separately, JP Morgan maintained its "overweight" rating on Intel stock today, citing improving PC/datacenter fundamentals, strong capital allocation, and margin leverage.
Shares of Intel are flat at $36.51 in early morning trading.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates INTEL CORP as a "buy" with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate INTEL CORP (INTC) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 17.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- INTC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.23 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.33, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, INTEL CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 44.27% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, INTC should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: INTC Ratings Report