WTI crude oil for February delivery was falling 0.6% to $45.78 a barrel Tuesday afternoon. Brent crude oil for February delivery was falling 2.1% to $46.46 a barrel, after declining to $45.19 earlier in the day, its lowest level since March 2009, according to Reuters.
Despite the continued decline in oil prices OPEC refused to back away from its decision to maintain its 2015 oil production outlook. By not changing its strategy the organization is "telling the market and other producers that they need to be rational," United Arab Emirates oil minister Suhail bin Mohammed al-Mazroui said.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
TheStreet Ratings team rates NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC (NOV) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- NOV's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 15.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NOV's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.15 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.19, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC has improved earnings per share by 15.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NATIONAL OILWELL VARCO INC reported lower earnings of $5.16 versus $5.83 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.02 versus $5.16).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry average. The net income increased by 9.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $636.00 million to $699.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NOV Ratings Report