While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."BCE Dividend Yield: 4.70% BCE (NYSE: BCE) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.70%. BCE Inc., a communications company, provides broadband communication services to residential and business customers in Canada. The company operates through four segments: Bell Wireline, Bell Wireless, Bell Media, and Bell Aliant. The company has a P/E ratio of 17.28. The average volume for BCE has been 972,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. BCE has a market cap of $37.9 billion and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are down 0.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates BCE as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations, increase in net income and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BCE's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 68.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $375.00 million to $631.00 million.
- 49.93% is the gross profit margin for BCE INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 12.14% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $1,882.00 million or 8.78% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -20.74%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, BCE INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full BCE Ratings Report.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC increased its bottom line by earning $3.68 versus $2.92 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($97.77 versus $3.68).
- GSK, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 35.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC is rather high; currently it is at 66.18%. Regardless of GSK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GSK's net profit margin of 6.95% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The share price of GLAXOSMITHKLINE PLC has not done very well: it is down 18.10% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full GlaxoSmithKline Ratings Report.
- AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP has improved earnings per share by 7.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.80 versus $1.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.04 versus $1.80).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Gas Utilities industry and the overall market, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $116.88 million or 40.43% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -40.81%.
- 45.39% is the gross profit margin for AMERIGAS PARTNERS -LP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -8.45% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full AmeriGas Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.