Turquoise Hill Resources focuses on gold, copper, and coal mining. Gold futures for February delivery rallied 0.27% to $1,187.30 at 4:13 p.m., according to CNBC.
Earlier in the day, gold prices dipped to $1,167.30, the lowest since December 1, as the dollar rose to a four-and-a-half-year high against the euro, according to Bloomberg.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer’s Best Stocks for 2015
"We got some gold buying at the same time stocks sold off," George Gero, a precious metals strategist at RBC Capital Markets, told Bloomberg. "It's all about asset allocation for the beginning of the year."
More than 4 million shares changed hands Friday, compared to the daily average volume of 3,442,950.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates TURQUOISE HILL RESOURCES LTD as a "hold" with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TURQUOISE HILL RESOURCES LTD (TRQ) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 58.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$94.03 million to -$38.64 million.
- When compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, TURQUOISE HILL RESOURCES LTD's return on equity has significantly outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- 44.12% is the gross profit margin for TURQUOISE HILL RESOURCES LTD which we consider to be strong. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -8.28% is in-line with the industry average.
- TRQ has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Despite the fact that TRQ's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.69, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- TRQ has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 11.56% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TRQ Ratings Report