NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Once again, biotech stocks greatly outperformed the broader market in 2014.
To give you the wide view, the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB) gained 34% while the SPDR S&P Biotech ETF (XBI) , weighted more to small-cap stocks, rose 43%. The benchmark S&P 500 closed out the year with an 11% gain.
The 10 best-performing biotech and drug stocks in 2014:
- Avanir Pharmaceuticals (AVNR) 405%
- OvaScience (OVAS) 384%
- Agios Pharmaceuticals (AGIO) 384%
- Bluebird Bio (BLUE) 368%
- Receptos (RCPT) 323%
- TG Therapeutics (TGTX) 306%
- Prosensa (RNA) 302%
- Pernix Therapeutics (PTX) 273%
- Achillion Pharma (ACHN) 269%
- Amicus Therapeutics (FOLD) 254%
Twenty-eight biotech and drugs stocks grew their market caps to $1 billion or more in 2014. Here's the top 10: