NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Twitter (TWTR) are down 2.09% to $35.66 today as seven insiders of the micro-blogging site, including a founder and former CEO, sold 1,181,619 shares for $44,892,077, for an price average of $37.99 each, from December 1 through December 23, Barron's reports.
The sales were made through 10b5-1 plans and came as Twitter shares find themselves losing altitude, Barron's said. The stock is down over 14.5% since the first of the month.
Notably, former CEO and co-founder Evan Williams sold 744,000 indirectly held Twitter shares for $27,880,633. He now indirectly and directly holds 54,107,093 shares, a stake of 8.52%, down from 8.64%.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
"We see a couple insiders finally deciding to opt into their shares by exercising options and not selling more, but the fact that we don't see more opting in is leaning more negative. It's still indicating that shares are not a bargain here," InsiderInsights told Barron's.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates TWITTER INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TWITTER INC (TWTR) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been generally deteriorating net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 171.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$64.60 million to -$175.46 million.
- TWITTER INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.10 versus -$1.05).
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 46.25%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 141.66% compared to the year-earlier quarter.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.43, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 8.98 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, TWITTER INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TWTR Ratings Report