NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of TASER International (TASR) are up 4.46% to $25.05 in pre-market trading after Oppenheimer initiated coverage on the company with an "outperform" rating and a price target of $28.
Arizona-based TASER is known for its production of conducted electrical weapons (CEWs). The company has emerged as one of the leading players in the potentially rapid growing space of on-officer body cameras and digital evidence management, Oppenheimer said.
Analysts believe TASER's widespread success in CEWs has paved the way to make it the leading technology provider to law enforcement agencies.
Exclusive Report: Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Although recently announced Federal support of on-officer cameras combined with mounting pressure from the public for their adoption has pushed the stock to high premiums, analysts like TASER's price-maker position and opportunity for long-term growth.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates TASER INTERNATIONAL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TASER INTERNATIONAL INC (TASR) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 26.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- TASR's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.00 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.98, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- TASER INTERNATIONAL INC has improved earnings per share by 40.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TASER INTERNATIONAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.34 versus $0.27 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.38 versus $0.34).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Aerospace & Defense industry. The net income increased by 47.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.11 million to $7.56 million.
- The gross profit margin for TASER INTERNATIONAL INC is rather high; currently it is at 67.23%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 17.03% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TASR Ratings Report