NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Teekay Tankers (TNK) were falling 15.9% to $4.54 Friday after the shipping company announced the pricing of its public offering of 20 million shares of Class A common stock.
Teekay Tankers priced the 20 million shares of Class A common stock in its public offering at $4.80 a share. The underwriters of the offering have a 30-day option to buy up to 3 million additional shares.
The company announced that Teekay Corporation will also purchase $20 million of Class A common stock at the same cost as the share in the public offering.
Teekay Tankers plans to use the net proceeds from the offering and Teekay Corporation's investment to partially finance its acquisition of four modern coated Aframax tankers and one modern uncoated Aframax tanker, and for general corporate purposes.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TEEKAY TANKERS LTD as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TEEKAY TANKERS LTD (TNK) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 35.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 141.17% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 52.11% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, TEEKAY TANKERS LTD has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- 39.94% is the gross profit margin for TEEKAY TANKERS LTD which we consider to be strong. Regardless of TNK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TNK's net profit margin of 10.96% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.96 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, TNK's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.18, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TNK Ratings Report