- KEX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $66.7 million.
- KEX is down 6.5% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in KEX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for KEX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on KEX: Kirby Corporation, through its subsidiaries, provides marine transportation and diesel engine services primarily in the United States. Its Marine Transportation segment provides transportation services for the inland and coastal markets. KEX has a PE ratio of 17.9. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Kirby a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Kirby has been 571,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Kirby has a market cap of $5.0 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 1.06 and a short float of 2.2% with 1.52 days to cover. Shares are down 13.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Kirby as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 25.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- KEX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.29 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.07, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- KIRBY CORP has improved earnings per share by 10.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, KIRBY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $4.45 versus $3.74 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.11 versus $4.45).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Marine industry average. The net income increased by 11.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $69.12 million to $76.72 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, KIRBY CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Kirby Ratings Report.