Brent crude hit an intraday low of $58.71 a barrel on London's ICE Futures exchange, according to the Wall Street Journal. But Brent rallied to 1.37% to $60.83 at 12:01 p.m., according to CNBC.
Oil prices have plummeted nearly 50% since the summer amid a global oversupply. Oil producers are continuing to increase production despite the supply glut and weakening demand.
The American Petroleum Institute published data late Tuesday that indicated a surprise 1.9 million barrel rise in weekly U.S. oil stockpiles. The U.S. Energy Information Administration is scheduled to publish stockpile data on Wednesday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates SEADRILL LTD as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SEADRILL LTD (SDRL) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity and attractive valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, generally higher debt management risk and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SDRL's revenue growth trails the industry average of 15.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, SEADRILL LTD's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SEADRILL LTD is rather high; currently it is at 55.61%. Regardless of SDRL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.52% trails the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.33 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, SDRL maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.84, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $397.00 million or 25.51% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SDRL Ratings Report