- GIS has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.48 mentions/day.
- GIS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $178.2 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GIS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GIS NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on GIS: General Mills, Inc. manufactures and markets branded consumer foods in the United States and internationally. It also supplies branded and unbranded food products to the foodservice and commercial baking industries. The company operates in three segments: U.S. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.1%. GIS has a PE ratio of 19.4. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate General Mills a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for General Mills has been 3.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. General Mills has a market cap of $31.5 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and food & beverage industry. The stock has a beta of 0.64 and a short float of 2.5% with 4.46 days to cover. Shares are up 3.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates General Mills as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, GENERAL MILLS INC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- GENERAL MILLS INC's earnings per share declined by 21.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GENERAL MILLS INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.83 versus $2.79 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.85 versus $2.83).
- 37.23% is the gross profit margin for GENERAL MILLS INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GIS's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.08% trails the industry average.
- GIS, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- In its most recent trading session, GIS has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The stock's price rise over the last year has driven it to a level which is somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full General Mills Ratings Report.