Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings quantitative algorithm evaluates over 4,300 stocks on a daily basis by 32 different data factors and assigns a unique buy, sell, or hold recommendation on each stock. Click here to learn more.
"We rate GOLDCORP INC (GG) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 980.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.00 million to -$44.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $192.00 million or 29.92% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 29.92%, GOLDCORP INC is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -29.93%.
- GOLDCORP INC's earnings have gone downhill when comparing its most recently reported quarter with the same quarter a year earlier. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GOLDCORP INC swung to a loss, reporting -$3.30 versus $1.78 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.75 versus -$3.30).
- This stock's share value has moved by only 17.29% over the past year. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- 36.09% is the gross profit margin for GOLDCORP INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GG's net profit margin of -5.12% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GG Ratings Report