NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Key Energy Services (KEG) are slipping, down 8.85% to $1.03 in late morning trading Tuesday, after analysts at Wunderlich downgraded and cut price targets on numerous oil companies this morning, including Key Energy, amid a bearish outlook.
Analysts at the firm downgraded Key Energy to "sell" from "hold" and removed its price target of $3 on shares of the onshore, rig-based well servicing contractor.
Wunderlich said in a note, "While the impact of WTI oil moving from basically $100/bbl to $60/bbl in just a few months hasn't been felt just yet, rest assured the pain is coming - and coming soon. What is even more scary about this downturn than the 2008/2009 difficulty is that this time it looks as if there is no basin or commodity to shift activity into."
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates KEY ENERGY SERVICES INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate KEY ENERGY SERVICES INC (KEG) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- KEY ENERGY SERVICES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, KEY ENERGY SERVICES INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.14 versus $0.68 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 157.1% in earnings (-$0.36 versus -$0.14).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1183.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$4.85 million to -$62.23 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, KEY ENERGY SERVICES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for KEY ENERGY SERVICES INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 25.65%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -17.01% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $18.82 million or 82.94% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: KEG Ratings Report