NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here are 10 things you should know for Wednesday, Dec. 17:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were rising Wednesday ahead of a statement from the Federal Reserve on monetary policy and as oil prices moved lower again.
Stocks in Europe fell while Asian shares ended the session mixed.
Crude oil fell 1.4% to $55.17 in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Wednesday includes the Consumer Price Index for November at 8:30 a.m. EST, and the rates decision from the Federal Open Market Committee during the afternoon. The FOMC, the policy-making arm of the Fed, concludes its two-day meeting on Wednesday and the central bank could remove its longstanding pledge to keep interest rates at near zero for a "considerable time."
Must Read: Warren Buffett's Top 10 Dividend-Paying Stocks for 2014
3. -- U.S. stocks on Tuesday couldn't make up their minds with equities wiping out gains in the final market hour after a whiplash session that saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average trading in a 360-point range.
The S&P 500 closed 0.84% lower, the Dow fell 0.64% and the Nasdaq tumbled 1.2%.
4. -- General Electric (GE) said 2015 earnings could be lower than analysts' forecasts as its oil and gas operations are hurt by the decline in oil prices.
GE said industrial profit for next year will be $1.10 to $1.20 a share. Add that to expected earnings of 60 cents a share from GE's finance unit, and the company expects 2015 operating earnings of $1.70 to $1.80 a share.
Analysts are expecting earnings next year from GE of $1.79 a share.
5. -- Shipping giant FedEx (FDX) is forecast to report fiscal second-quarter earnings on Wednesday of $2.22 a share on revenue of $11.99 billion.
6. -- China's Baidu (BIDU) , the search engine company, confirmed Wednesday it will invest in ride-booking company Uber but didn't disclose the size of its investment.
Reports have speculated that Baidu's investment in Uber could be up to $600 million.
Uber CEO Travis Kalanick said its collaboration with Baidu "marks a milestone for Uber. We're currently in 250 cities around the world, and the Asia-Pacific region has been a key area of growth for us."
7. -- Software maker Oracle (ORCL) is expected by Wall Street to report fiscal second-quarter profit of 68 cents a share on sales of $9.51 billion.