NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- BlackBerry (BBRY) shares are down 4% to $9.44 in trading on Monday ahead of the company's third quarter earnings release before the opening bell on Friday.
The company experienced a sharp decline during its previous trading session after analysts at BMO Capital and Raymond James both reiterated their "market perform" ratings, while analysts at Credit Suisse reiterated an "underperform" rating with a $6 price target.
"Focusing on services, visibility remains low. While the company is trying to facilitate a transition to BES 12 by offering various promotional packages of its MDM platform, we continue to see headaches for the services business," said Credit Suisse analyst Kulbinder Garcha. "Despite the encouraging launch of its Passport phone, we believe sustainable sell through will prove challenging and margin pressures may still remain in the hyper competitive smartphone market.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates BLACKBERRY LTD as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate BLACKBERRY LTD (BBRY) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been an overall disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, BLACKBERRY LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 13.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 41.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.43, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that BBRY's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 2.39 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- BLACKBERRY LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKBERRY LTD reported poor results of -$11.17 versus -$1.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.25 versus -$11.17).
- The gross profit margin for BLACKBERRY LTD is rather high; currently it is at 57.97%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -22.59% is in-line with the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BBRY Ratings Report