Gold for February delivery was down by 0.3%, or $3.80, to settle at $1,225.60 an ounce.
Gold prices were down for a second session today, due to a positive report from the U.S. government showing retail sales for November have increased the most in eight months, MarketWatch reports.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
For the previous month U.S. retail sales rose by 0.7%, compared to 0.5% for October, and higher than the 0.4% increase economists polled by MarketWatch were expecting.
Other gold mining stocks down today include Goldcorp Inc. (GG) , lower by 1.73% to $19.37, Yamana Gold Inc. (AUY) , down by 3.12% to $4.04, and Alamos Gold Inc. (AGI) retreating by 2.02% to $7.26 this afternoon.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI LTD as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI LTD (AU) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.24 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management.
- The gross profit margin for ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI LTD is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.93%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 3.08% significantly trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI LTD underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- This stock's share value has moved by only 30.80% over the past year. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- AU, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.4%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AU Ratings Report