- WPX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $64.5 million.
- WPX has traded 347,478 shares today.
- WPX is trading at 3.34 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- WPX is trading at a new high 4.01% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in WPX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for WPX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on WPX: WPX Energy, Inc., an independent natural gas and oil exploration and production company, is engaged in the exploitation and development of unconventional properties in the United States. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate WPX Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for WPX Energy has been 4.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. WPX Energy has a market cap of $2.2 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.54 and a short float of 3% with 0.72 days to cover. Shares are down 42.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates WPX Energy as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 28.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for WPX ENERGY INC is rather high; currently it is at 54.79%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 7.80% is above that of the industry average.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.50, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that WPX's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.58, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- WPX's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 34.94%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, WPX ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full WPX Energy Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.