- CIEN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $52.7 million.
- CIEN traded 296,556 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:13 AM, representing 10.2% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CIEN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CIEN NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CIEN: Ciena Corporation provides communications networking equipment, software, and services that support the transport, switching, aggregation, and management of voice, video, and data traffic worldwide. Currently there are 15 analysts that rate Ciena a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Ciena has been 3.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ciena has a market cap of $1.8 billion and is part of the technology sector and telecommunications industry. The stock has a beta of 1.84 and a short float of 26.1% with 6.98 days to cover. Shares are down 26.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ciena as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CIENA CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CIENA CORP continued to lose money by earning -$0.84 versus -$1.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.77 versus -$0.84).
- 46.07% is the gross profit margin for CIENA CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, CIEN's net profit margin of 2.67% significantly trails the industry average.
- CIEN's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 28.16%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Ciena Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.