NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Goldcorp (GG) are jumping, up 5.82% to $20.55 in midday trading Tuesday, as gold prices hit its highest level since late October following cautious comments from U.S. Federal Reserve policymakers, Reuters reports.
Late yesterday, Atlanta Federal Reserve President Dennis Lockhart said there was in no rush to drop the Fed's pledge to keep interest rates near zero for a "considerable time," Reuters added.
A weaker greenback makes dollar-denominated gold cheaper for holders of other currencies, Reuters noted.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
U.S. gold futures are up 2.95% to $1,230.20 an ounce as of 11:56 a.m. today.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates GOLDCORP INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate GOLDCORP INC (GG) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GG's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.16 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that GG's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.62, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, GOLDCORP INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- 36.09% is the gross profit margin for GOLDCORP INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GG's net profit margin of -5.12% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $192.00 million or 29.92% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 29.92%, GOLDCORP INC is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -30.52%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 980.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.00 million to -$44.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GG Ratings Report