NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (CY) is under investigation by the former attorney general of Louisiana, Charles Foti, and law firm Kahn Swick & Foti to determine whether consideration and the process that led to its merger deal with embedded systems specialist Spansion (CODE) are adequate.
The firm will also investigate whether the consideration undervalues Spansion.
Yesterday, law firm Robbins Arroyo announced that it is investigating whether the board of directors at Spansion is undertaking a fair process to obtain maximum value and to adequately compensate its shareholders.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Under the terms of the proposed transaction, Spansion shareholders will receive 2.457 Cypress shares valued at $25.63, for each Spansion share of common stock they own.
The two companies agreed to an all-stock merger valued at $4 billion on Monday, and the combined company is expected to generate more than $2 billion in revenue a year.
Shares of Cypress are up 1.59% to $12.11 in late morning today.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP (CY) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, compelling growth in net income and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its price level of one year ago, CY is up 10.29% to its most recent closing price of 10.71. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals should not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 245.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$8.83 million to $12.84 million.
- CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP reported poor results of -$0.33 versus -$0.16 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.53 versus -$0.33).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, CYPRESS SEMICONDUCTOR CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.16 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, CY maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.74, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CY Ratings Report