While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." American Midstream Partners Dividend Yield: 7.70% American Midstream Partners (NYSE: AMID) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.70%. American Midstream Partners, LP is engaged in gathering, treating, processing, and transporting natural gas primarily in the Gulf Coast and Southeast regions of the United States. The average volume for American Midstream Partners has been 44,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. American Midstream Partners has a market cap of $386.2 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are down 11.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates American Midstream Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AMID's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 92.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$22.11 million to -$1.67 million.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for AMERICAN MIDSTREAM PRTNRS LP is currently extremely low, coming in at 8.68%. Regardless of AMID's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -2.14% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $8.86 million or 16.09% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full American Midstream Partners Ratings Report.
- TICC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for TICC CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 74.51%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -4.18% is in-line with the industry average.
- TICC CAPITAL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TICC CAPITAL CORP reported lower earnings of $1.11 versus $1.77 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.12 versus $1.11).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 105.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $23.59 million to -$1.26 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, TICC CAPITAL CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full TICC Capital Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 13.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 35.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- CORENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE TR reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CORENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE TR reported lower earnings of $0.18 versus $1.35 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.32 versus $0.18).
- In its most recent trading session, CORR has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CORENERGY INFRASTRUCTURE TR underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full CorEnergy Infrastructure Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.