4. Alcohol Poisoning
Just because it doesn't have triclosan, doesn't meant it's completely safe.
The active ingredient in some hand sanitizers is usually a type of alcohol that acts as an antimicrobial that kills bacteria. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control recommend ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or a mix of both in a concentration of 60% to 95%.
In March of 2012, six California teenagers were hospitalized with alcohol poisoning from drinking hand sanitizer, making it the latest in a string of household products used to induce intoxication, ABC News reported. A few squirts of hand sanitizer could equal a couple of shots of hard liquor.
And it's not just teenagers. Younger children have accidentally ingested it in the past, according to the LA Times.