NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Nevsun Resources (NSU) surged more than 13% to a 52-week high of $4.51 in morning trading Thursday on news that mining fund QKR Corp. could be close to bidding approximately $1 billion for the company, according to Bloomberg.
Negotiations are ongoing between QKR, funded by Qatar's sovereign wealth fund and Poland's richest man Jan Kulczyk, and Nevsun, which owns approximately 60% of the Bisha gold, copper and zinc mine in Eritrea. There is no guarantee the two sides will reach a deal, according to Bloomberg.
The Bisha acquisition would be QKR's second after it bought AngloGold Ashanti's (AU) Navachab mine in Namibia for $110 million in July.
More than 1.4 million shares of the Vancouver-based Nevsun had changed hands as of 10:51 a.m., compared to the average daily volume of 324,255.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates NEVSUN RESOURCES LTD as a "hold" with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NEVSUN RESOURCES LTD (NSU) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and attractive valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has experienced relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- NSU's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 473.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- NSU has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, NEVSUN RESOURCES LTD's return on equity has significantly outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- NEVSUN RESOURCES LTD has shown improvement in its earnings for its most recently reported quarter when compared with the same quarter a year earlier. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEVSUN RESOURCES LTD reported lower earnings of $0.05 versus $0.71 in the prior year.
- This stock has managed to decline in share value by 0.85% over the past twelve months. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NSU Ratings Report