While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Tesoro Logistics Dividend Yield: 4.50% Tesoro Logistics (NYSE: TLLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.50%. Tesoro Logistics LP owns, operates, develops, and acquires logistics assets related to crude oil and refined products in the United States. It operates in two segments, Crude Oil Gathering, and Terminalling and Transportation. The company has a P/E ratio of 31.11. The average volume for Tesoro Logistics has been 614,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Tesoro Logistics has a market cap of $4.6 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 7.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Tesoro Logistics as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income, impressive record of earnings per share growth and increase in stock price during the past year. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- TLLP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 59.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 1500.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2.02 million to $32.32 million.
- TESORO LOGISTICS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TESORO LOGISTICS LP reported lower earnings of $1.09 versus $1.69 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.77 versus $1.09).
- In its most recent trading session, TLLP has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- You can view the full Tesoro Logistics Ratings Report.