NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of BlackBerry (BBRY) were gaining 6.4% to $11.99 Thursday after the smartphone maker announced a new partnership with Samsung (SSNLF) to help improve mobile security on Android and a new version of BlackBerry Enterprise Service.
At an event in San Francisco BlackBerry announced a new program that will bring its end-to-end encryption system into Samsung's Knox security system, according to The Verge. The program will bring new encryption standards and support to Knox, including ways to protect data from malware.
BlackBerry also announced its new mobile-security software, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12, which will work across multiple platforms including BlackBerry OS, Android, and iOS. BES12 adds a new feature that lets mobile users easily log into a company's VPN without carrying a security token to generate numeric passwords. The new software said should help lower companies' IT costs, according to BlackBerry.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates BLACKBERRY LTD as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate BLACKBERRY LTD (BBRY) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been an overall disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, BLACKBERRY LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 13.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 41.8%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.43, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that BBRY's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 2.39 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- BLACKBERRY LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKBERRY LTD reported poor results of -$11.17 versus -$1.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.26 versus -$11.17).
- The gross profit margin for BLACKBERRY LTD is rather high; currently it is at 57.97%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -22.59% is in-line with the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BBRY Ratings Report