- MATX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $9.5 million.
- MATX has traded 169,923 shares today.
- MATX is trading at 46.21 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- MATX is trading at a new high 19.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MATX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MATX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MATX: Matson, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as an ocean freight carrier in the Pacific. It operates in two segments, Ocean Transportation and Logistics. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.3%. MATX has a PE ratio of 25.0. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Matson a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Matson has been 186,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Matson has a market cap of $1.3 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 0.96 and a short float of 4% with 5.29 days to cover. Shares are up 11.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Matson as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MATSON INC has improved earnings per share by 25.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MATSON INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.25 versus $1.23 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.33 versus $1.25).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Marine industry average. The net income increased by 25.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $17.20 million to $21.50 million.
- MATX's revenue growth trails the industry average of 23.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- In its most recent trading session, MATX has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MATSON INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Matson Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.