- ICPT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $144.7 million.
- ICPT has traded 60,703 shares today.
- ICPT is trading at 2.46 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- ICPT is trading at a new low 4.04% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ICPT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ICPT NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ICPT: Intercept Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a development stage biopharmaceutical company, focuses on the development and commercialization of novel therapeutics to treat chronic liver and intestinal diseases utilizing its proprietary bile acid chemistry. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Intercept Pharmaceuticals a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Intercept Pharmaceuticals has been 438,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Intercept has a market cap of $3.8 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of -5.67 and a short float of 10.3% with 1.74 days to cover. Shares are up 153.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Intercept Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Biotechnology industry average. The net income has decreased by 12.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$31.74 million to -$35.84 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, INTERCEPT PHARMA INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$23.87 million or 270.77% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- INTERCEPT PHARMA INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INTERCEPT PHARMA INC reported poor results of -$3.70 versus -$2.28 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 258.9% in earnings (-$13.28 versus -$3.70).
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, ICPT's share price has jumped by 260.09%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in ICPT do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full Intercept Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.