NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of HCA Holdings Inc. (HCA) are down by 0.92% to $65.40 in pre-market trading on Wednesday, following a ratings downgrade to "market perform" from "outperform" at Wells Fargo.
The firm said it reduced its rating on the holding company, whose affiliates own and operate hospitals and other related healthcare entities, based on its belief the hospital group will be negatively affected by the Supreme Court's decision to consider the King v. Burwell case.
King v. Burwell will decide if the federal government can continue to subsidize private Affordable Care Act coverage in states that didn't establish their own insurance exchanges, USA Today reported.
Wells Fargo also cut its price target on HCA Holdings to a range between $64 and $70, from $68 to $78.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates HCA HOLDINGS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate HCA HOLDINGS INC (HCA) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and impressive record of earnings per share growth. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 46.83% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 52.25% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, HCA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Providers & Services industry. The net income increased by 41.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $365.00 million to $518.00 million.
- HCA's revenue growth trails the industry average of 19.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,128.00 million or 25.33% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -23.09%.
- HCA HOLDINGS INC has improved earnings per share by 46.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HCA HOLDINGS INC reported lower earnings of $3.36 versus $3.49 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.54 versus $3.36).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HCA Ratings Report