NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Rayonier Inc. (RYN) are down 12.09% to $29.80 today after the company said it would realign its strategy and restate results for the first half of this year following an internal review of its operations, the Wall Street Journal reports.
The forest-products company said it understated the depletion in the cost of goods sold in its quarterly reports for the periods ended March 31 and June 30 of 2014, according to the Journal. The understatements resulted in corresponding overstatements of income from continuing operations of $1.9 million and $2 million, respectively.
Rayonier also lowered its quarterly dividend to 25 cents a share from 30 cents.
"Importantly, we believe that reducing our dividend will provide the necessary balance between our near-term financial goals and long-term shareholder interests," CEO David Nunes said.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates RAYONIER INC as a "hold" with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate RAYONIER INC (RYN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed--some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 13.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 42.93% is the gross profit margin for RAYONIER INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, RYN's net profit margin of 11.26% significantly trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RAYONIER INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $127.12 million or 12.93% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, RAYONIER INC has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RYN Ratings Report