NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- CBS Corp. (CBS) is scheduled to report its third quarter earnings results after the market close this afternoon, and analysts are expecting a decline in net earnings and revenue for the latest quarter.
Analysts polled by FactSet are expecting the media company to post earnings of 73 cents per share on revenue of $3.32 billion for the most recent quarter.
For the 2013 third quarter CBS reported earnings of 76 cents per share on revenue of $3.6 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
A decline in advertising revenue and an increase in the expenses used to bring Thursday night football games to broadcast TV could contribute to CBS' third quarter 2014 financial results, Market Watch reports.
Shares of CBS are higher by 0.40% to $52.20 in mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CBS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CBS CORP (CBS) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, reasonable valuation levels, growth in earnings per share, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, CBS CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- CBS CORP's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CBS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.92 versus $2.48 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.11 versus $2.92).
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.69, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.98 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- 43.60% is the gross profit margin for CBS CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of CBS's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CBS's net profit margin of 13.77% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CBS Ratings Report