- MRO has 11x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.03 mentions/day.
- MRO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $218.0 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MRO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MRO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MRO: Marathon Oil Corporation operates as an energy company worldwide. The company's North America Exploration and Production segment explores for, produces, and markets liquid hydrocarbons and natural gas in North America. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.5%. MRO has a PE ratio of 12.3. Currently there are 13 analysts that rate Marathon Oil a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Marathon Oil has been 5.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Marathon Oil has a market cap of $23.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.57 and a short float of 1.7% with 1.74 days to cover. Shares are down 3.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Marathon Oil as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 26.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $426.00 million to $540.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,088.00 million or 25.34% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -6.46%.
- The gross profit margin for MARATHON OIL CORP is rather high; currently it is at 52.01%. Regardless of MRO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MRO's net profit margin of 18.69% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.32, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.81 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- You can view the full Marathon Oil Ratings Report.