While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell." Apollo Residential Mortgage Dividend Yield: 10.60% Apollo Residential Mortgage (NYSE: AMTG) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.60%. Apollo Residential Mortgage, Inc. primarily invests in residential mortgage assets in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.44. The average volume for Apollo Residential Mortgage has been 317,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Apollo Residential Mortgage has a market cap of $532.9 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 12.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Apollo Residential Mortgage as a sell. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $18.33 million or 40.27% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -64.23%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- AMTG, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 9.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.9%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC swung to a loss, reporting -$1.91 versus $8.19 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.08 versus -$1.91).
- The gross profit margin for APOLLO RESIDENTIAL MTG INC is currently very high, coming in at 85.05%. Regardless of AMTG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AMTG's net profit margin of 115.52% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Apollo Residential Mortgage Ratings Report.