While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Mesa Royalty Dividend Yield: 18.00% Mesa Royalty (NYSE: MTR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 18.00%. Mesa Royalty Trust holds net overriding royalty interests in various oil and gas properties in the United States. It has interests in properties located in the Hugoton field of Kansas; the San Juan Basin field of New Mexico and Colorado; and the Yellow Creek field of Wyoming. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.49. The average volume for Mesa Royalty has been 18,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Mesa Royalty has a market cap of $57.3 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are up 44% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Mesa Royalty as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance and compelling growth in net income. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MTR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 260.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- MTR has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.79, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, MESA ROYALTY TRUST's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 274.28% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 40.36% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, MTR should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 273.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.65 million to $2.44 million.
- You can view the full Mesa Royalty Ratings Report.
- PFLT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 64.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 215.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $1.57 million to $4.94 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 153.15% to $27.18 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PENNANTPARK FLOATING RT CAP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -127.80%.
- The gross profit margin for PENNANTPARK FLOATING RT CAP is rather high; currently it is at 68.48%. Regardless of PFLT's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PFLT's net profit margin of 64.44% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PENNANTPARK FLOATING RT CAP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full PennantPark Floating Rate Capital Ratings Report.
- GSJK's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- GSJK's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.23 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, GSJK has a quick ratio of 1.86, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.11 versus $1.04 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.25 versus $1.11).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income increased by 96.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $2.48 million to $4.88 million.
- 46.14% is the gross profit margin for COMPRESSCO PARTNERS LP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 15.19% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Compressco Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.