While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."New York Community Bancorp Dividend Yield: 6.70% New York Community Bancorp (NYSE: NYCB) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.70%. New York Community Bancorp, Inc. operates as a multi-bank holding company for New York Community Bank and New York Commercial Bank that offer banking products and financial services in New York, New Jersey, Florida, Ohio, and Arizona. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.14. The average volume for New York Community Bancorp has been 2,381,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. New York Community Bancorp has a market cap of $6.7 billion and is part of the banking industry. Shares are down 9.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates New York Community Bancorp as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for NEW YORK CMNTY BANCORP INC is currently very high, coming in at 71.40%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 25.22% is above that of the industry average.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 13.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.0%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, NYCB has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 5.13% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Thrifts & Mortgage Finance industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 3.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $122.52 million to $118.69 million.
- You can view the full New York Community Bancorp Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 70.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $16.38 million to $27.99 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 11.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RYMAN HOSPITALITY PPTYS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 111.11% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 27.37% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 63.03% to $61.88 million when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 18.48%.
- You can view the full Ryman Hospitality Properties Ratings Report.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- TECO ENERGY INC has improved earnings per share by 12.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TECO ENERGY INC reported lower earnings of $0.92 versus $1.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.02 versus $0.92).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Multi-Utilities industry average. The net income increased by 13.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $51.40 million to $58.40 million.
- TE, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 7.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.3%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for TECO ENERGY INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.93%. Regardless of TE's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.04% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full TECO Energy Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.