While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Preferred Apartment Communities Dividend Yield: 7.70% Preferred Apartment Communities (AMEX: APTS) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.70%. Preferred Apartment Communities, Inc. is a real estate investment trust launched and managed by Preferred Apartment Advisors, LLC. The fund invests in real estate markets of the United States. It primarily acquires and operates multifamily apartment properties. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.00. The average volume for Preferred Apartment Communities has been 135,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Preferred Apartment Communities has a market cap of $142.3 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 3.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Preferred Apartment Communities as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has experienced relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- APTS's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 11.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 57.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS reported poor results of -$2.00 versus -$0.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.09 versus -$2.00).
- In its most recent trading session, APTS has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PREFERRED APARTMENT CMNTYS underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Preferred Apartment Communities Ratings Report.
- The gross profit margin for AMERICA FIRST MULTIFAMILY-LP is currently very high, coming in at 79.83%. Regardless of ATAX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ATAX's net profit margin of 32.50% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 60.36% to $4.59 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 60.36%, AMERICA FIRST MULTIFAMILY-LP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 119.48%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Thrifts & Mortgage Finance industry average. The net income has decreased by 7.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $3.96 million to $3.66 million.
- The share price of AMERICA FIRST MULTIFAMILY-LP has not done very well: it is down 19.92% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full America First Multifamily Investors Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Trading Companies & Distributors industry. The net income increased by 266.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.92 million to $21.67 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.26 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Trading Companies & Distributors industry and the overall market, FLY LEASING LTD -ADR's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Fly Leasing Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.