While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."SeaWorld Entertainment Dividend Yield: 4.70% SeaWorld Entertainment (NYSE: SEAS) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.70%. SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. operates as a theme park and entertainment company in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.44. The average volume for SeaWorld Entertainment has been 2,917,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. SeaWorld Entertainment has a market cap of $1.6 billion and is part of the leisure industry. Shares are down 36.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates SeaWorld Entertainment as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Although SEAS's debt-to-equity ratio of 2.95 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.34, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- SEAS's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 33.09%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC reported lower earnings of $0.57 versus $0.83 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.85 versus $0.57).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full SeaWorld Entertainment Ratings Report.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, PAN AMERICAN SILVER CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PAN AMERICAN SILVER CORP is rather low; currently it is at 24.17%. Regardless of PAAS's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PAAS's net profit margin of -2.72% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- In its most recent trading session, PAAS has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 97.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$186.54 million to -$5.47 million.
- PAN AMERICAN SILVER CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PAN AMERICAN SILVER CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$2.98 versus $0.57 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.18 versus -$2.98).
- You can view the full Pan American Silver Ratings Report.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PBF ENERGY INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for PBF ENERGY INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 2.93%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.39% trails that of the industry average.
- PBF ENERGY INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PBF ENERGY INC reported lower earnings of $1.35 versus $37.61 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.96 versus $1.35).
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.68, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Despite the fact that PBF's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.55, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full PBF Energy Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.