While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Dominion Resources Black Warrior Dividend Yield: 9.70% Dominion Resources Black Warrior (NYSE: DOM) shares currently have a dividend yield of 9.70%. Dominion Resources Black Warrior Trust operates as a grantor trust in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.64. The average volume for Dominion Resources Black Warrior has been 110,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Dominion Resources Black Warrior has a market cap of $62.6 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are up 49% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Dominion Resources Black Warrior as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 40.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- DOM has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 50.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 51.84% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, DOM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR increased its bottom line by earning $0.70 versus $0.54 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.52 versus $0.70).
- You can view the full Dominion Resources Black Warrior Ratings Report.