While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." One Liberty Properties Dividend Yield: 7.30% One Liberty Properties (NYSE: OLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. One Liberty Properties, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the acquisition, ownership, and management of commercial real estate properties in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 22.87. The average volume for One Liberty Properties has been 34,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. One Liberty Properties has a market cap of $328.2 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 1.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates One Liberty Properties as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 11.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 31.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ONE LIBERTY PROPERTIES INC is rather high; currently it is at 55.65%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 29.37% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $9.34 million or 42.99% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 19.03%.
- ONE LIBERTY PROPERTIES INC's earnings per share declined by 40.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ONE LIBERTY PROPERTIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.10 versus $0.80 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 10.0% in earnings ($0.99 versus $1.10).
- You can view the full One Liberty Properties Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CPLP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.77 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that CPLP's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.91 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- The gross profit margin for CAPITAL PRODUCT PARTNERS LP is rather high; currently it is at 58.94%. Regardless of CPLP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CPLP's net profit margin of 16.47% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CAPITAL PRODUCT PARTNERS LP's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Capital Product Partners Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 43.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- SMTP has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 23.62, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- SMTP INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SMTP INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.42 versus $0.35 in the prior year.
- You can view the full SMTP Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.