NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Foot Locker (FL) shares are up 2.6% to $57.51 on Friday with the shoe retailer benefiting from the first quarter earnings beat Nike (NKE) posted after the closing bell on Thursday.
Boosted by increased exposure during the World Cup soccer tournament this summer, Nike posted a 23% increase in net sales this quarter over the same period last year.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Foot Locker, which gets about 8% of its sales from Nike products, had previously reported that basketball shoe sales rose by a "high teens" percentage during its second earnings quarter period.
Nike shares are up 10.2% to $87.89 in early market trading today.
TheStreet has further coverage of shoe retailers here.
TheStreet Ratings team rates FOOT LOCKER INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate FOOT LOCKER INC (FL) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- FL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.05 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 43.18% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 70.41% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, FL should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- FOOT LOCKER INC has improved earnings per share by 43.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, FOOT LOCKER INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.85 versus $2.59 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.45 versus $2.85).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income increased by 39.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $66.00 million to $92.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FL Ratings Report