The consensus estimate calls for BlackBerry to report a loss of 16 cents a share on revenue of $949.64 million. In the first quarter, the company reported a loss of 11 cents a share, narrower than analysts' expectations of a loss of 26 cents a share.
The stock was down 2.66% to $10.23 in late morning trading Thursday.
Watch the video below for a look at BlackBerry's newest smartphone, the Passport:
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates BLACKBERRY LTD as a "sell" with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate BLACKBERRY LTD (BBRY) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, BLACKBERRY LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $302.00 million or 52.06% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- BLACKBERRY LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKBERRY LTD reported poor results of -$11.17 versus -$1.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.59 versus -$11.17).
- In its most recent trading session, BBRY has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- BBRY, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 9.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 68.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BBRY Ratings Report