NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Burger King Worldwide Inc. (BKW) are down 1.74% to $30.52 after the fast-food chain issued a statement saying they are "moving forward as planed" with their $11.5 billion merger with Tim Hortons Inc. (THI) as new U.S. Treasury Department rules on corporate tax inversions take effect, according to Reuters.
"This deal has always been driven by long-term growth and not by tax benefits," the companies said in a joint statement.
Burger King is in the process of moving and re-incorporating the company in Canada in its deal with Ontario-based Tim Hortons, the coffee and doughnut retailer.
Shares of Tim Hortons are down 0.56% to $79.69 on Tuesday.
TheStreet Ratings team rates BURGER KING WORLDWIDE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate BURGER KING WORLDWIDE INC (BKW) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 55.28% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- BURGER KING WORLDWIDE INC has improved earnings per share by 16.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BURGER KING WORLDWIDE INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.66 versus $0.34 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.98 versus $0.66).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry average. The net income increased by 19.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $62.90 million to $75.10 million.
- The gross profit margin for BURGER KING WORLDWIDE INC is currently very high, coming in at 85.07%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 28.75% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 71.15% to $87.80 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, BURGER KING WORLDWIDE INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -5.08%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BKW Ratings Report